New Delhi: Legendry painter SH Raza famous for his Bindu and Beyond paintings passed away on Saturday. He believed in both Christ and Krishna.
Syed Haider Raza was born in Babaria, Mandla district, Madhya Pradesh, to Sayed Mohammed Razi, the Deputy Forest Ranger of the district and Tahira Begum, and it was here that he spent his early years and took to drawing at age 12; before moving to Damoh also in Madhya Pradesh at 13, where he completed his school education from Government High School, Damoh.
After high school, he studied further at the Nagpur School of Art, Nagpur (1939–43), followed by Sir J. J. School of Art, Bombay (1943–47),before moving to France in October 1950 to study at the École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts (ENSB-A) in Paris, 1950-1953 on a Govt. of France scholarship.
List of Awards:
- 1946: Silver Medal, Bombay Art Society, Mumbai
- 1948: Gold Medal, Bombay Art Society, Mumbai
- 1956: Prix de la critique, Paris
- 1981: Padma Shri; the Government of India
- 1981: Fellowship of the Lalit Kala Akademi, New Delhi
- 1981:Kalidas Samman, Government of Madhya Pradesh
- 2007: Padma Bhushan; the Government of India
- 2013: Padma Vibhushan; the Government of India
- 2013: one of the greatest living global Indian legends … NDTV INDIA
- 2015: Commandeur de la Legion d’Honneur (the Legion of Honour); the Government of France
His famous paintings are Ankuran, Clocher du Village, Ciel Rouge Sur Le Lac, Bindu Rangmala, Naad and Bindu, Les Champs etc.