India beat Iran 38-29 to win their third successive Kabaddi World Cup. Ajay Thakur was the star performer of the match claiming 12 points in the final.
Key Highlights of Kabaddi World Cup 2016 India Vs Iran:
- Iran have won the toss and they’ve opted the side. India will raid first.
- Sandeep Narwal brings India the first raid points of the final. Up 1-0.
- Iran get their first touch point of the contest. Skipper Meraj Sheykh with the touch and after review it is confirmed as a touch. Anup Kumar was convinced there was no contact.
- Ajay Thakur equals things in the first half. Strong raid and it is 3-3 in 15 mins of match.
- Pardeep Narwal goes out empty handed and in reply, Abolfazl Maghsoudlou also comes back without the touch on a do-or-die raid. It is 4-4.
- Anup Kumar gets India a bonus point to restore parity with just over ten minutes to go. 6-6 now. In response, Abolfazl Maghsoudlou gets the touch point and Iran are once again in the lead.
- Meraj Sheykh with lovely raiding skills to move in and then quickly backtrack to return after touching two Indian bodies. Iran lead 9-7 now.
- MOHIT CHHILLAR (IN), AJAY THAKUR (OUT) for India
GHOLAMABBAS KOROUKI (IN), ABOLFAZL MAGHSOUDLOU (OUT) for Iran
- SUPER TACKLE!! by Mohit Chillar to keep Iranian raider from crossing the line. Iran’s lead down to 1. 10-9
- Another super tackle chance for India but Meraj Sheykh gets a shoe to the Indian players’ body and India are down to one. Do-or-die moment for India and Nitin Tomar gets the touch.
- Iran inflict the all out on India as Nitin Tomar fails to get a successful raid. 16-12 to Iran.
- Iran go into the break at 18-13. 10 points to Iran on the raid and six tackle points. India with 9 raid points and 3 tackle points. Small margins separate the two teams. HALF TIME
- Ajay Thakur with three raid points and Anup Kumar, Sandeep Narwal with two each. Meraj Sheykh with five for Iran.
- Iran start the second half with the first points by Meraj Sheykh with the attacking point.
- Ajay Thakur brings the gap back to five points for India.
- Ajay Thakur starts with two points – goes down the alley and then twists and turns to get back after two touches. Iran’s lead is 19-16.
- Pardeep Narwal’s poor run tonight continues. He goes in for a touch and is pounced upon. He has zero points tonight. Iran up 20-17.
- Ajay Thakur gets a successful raid with a touch and the advantage for Iran is down to one once again. 20-19.
- Once again Ajay Thakur, his upper part of the body grabbed upon by the Iranian player, he uses his foot to equal things. 20-20!
- Ajay Thakur once again with a successful raid. India 21-20
- Iran’s final raid fails and India have the all out! The hosts are suddenly running away with this. Leading 24-21
- Ajay Thakur is highest scorer at the Kabaddi World Cup. He’s now up to 61 points
- After 24 minutes, Iran lead 19-14 and now India lead 26-21 after 32 minutes
- Nitin Tomar with an impeccable raid to pick up two points and Iran are down to two.
- Iran have it down to five points with a mistake by Rahul Chaudhari on the raid.
- Do-or-die raid for Iran with just under five minutes. India up by six points 30-24
- Ajay Thakur goes in and then backtracks to steal points. India are up by a big, big 10 points now. 34-24
- Meraj has been pinned, India on the ascendancy, good ankle hold by Surjeet 35-27 to India
- Ajay Takur on Do-or-Die raid and he is thrown out of the game – Iran gain one point
- Less than a minute to go and Gholamabbas Korouki doesn’t make a touch point for India
Ajay Thakur was the star performer claiming 12 points in the final. Iran fought valiantly and surprised everybody taking the lead going in to first half break at 18-13, but Thakur changed the momentum in the second half. Nitin Tomar put in a memorable performance and India’s fantastic defence ensured an Indian win. Finally India wins Kabaddi World Cup 2016.