A massive fire broke out at the Maker Tower in Cuffe Parade area of Mumbai today morning, leading to the death of two persons. The flat where fire broke out belongs to industrialist Shekhar Bajaj.
Two of his servants, who were present in the servant room of the gutted flat, died due to burn injuries and choking. They were rushed to the hospital but were declared dead on arrival.
Shekhar Bajaj was also in his house when the fire broke out, along with his wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandson.
“We do not know whether it was a short circuit…it could be, we will know after an investigation,” Shekhar Bajaj said.
The sea-facing building has some of Mumbai’s most plush apartments. There are two flats on each floor of the 25-storey building.
A resident said two flats were completely destroyed. “I rescued two helps and a child…They are in a state of shock,” he told reporters.
The blaze has been brought under control, cooling operations in progress, an official said