Sporting a saffron headgear, Modi was presented a ‘siropa’ or robe of honour by the Sikh priests at the historic gurdwara, the second holiest of Sikh shrines after Amritsar’s Golden Temple.
The 10th Sikh master, Guru Gobind Singh, founded the Khalsa Panth (religion of the pure) at Takht Keshgarh Sahib, 85 km from Chandigarh, in present day Ropar district of Punjab on April 13, 1699.
The Prime Minister later participated in a public function to mark the celebration of the 350th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh.
Today he also inaugrated AIIMS in Punjab’s Bhatinda and addressed a public gathering. The 750-bedded AIIMS will be set up with an outlay of Rs 925 crore and would be spread over 177 acres of land on the Bhatinda-Dabwali road. On this occasion PM Modi address the people over Demonetisation and other issues concerning India.
Here are the highlights of his speech
- Social infrastructure is essential for the development of every nation; We need top quality schools and hospitals
- AIIMS here will benefit the local areas. And this government does not only stop at laying foundation stones, we complete all projects
- It is a priority for us that projects are completed on time or before time
- When school in Peshawar was attacked every Indian was sad. People of Pakistan should tell their rulers – lets fight corruption, fake notes
- Pakistan now knows fully well what the Indian Army is capable of
- Surgical strikes completely shook Pakistan, it has not been able to recover from that shock
- The fields of our farmers must have adequate water. Water that belongs to India cannot be allowed to go to Pakistan
- Government will do everything to give enough water to our farmers
- For me, elections do not matter. I am more concerned about the welfare of the farmers
- Black money and corruption has looted the middle class and deprived poor of their rights. I want to give them their rights
- I am doing everything possible to ensure the middle class is not exploited and the poor get their due
- I fall short of words in conveying my thanks to people as they stood with me even when they had to face hardships
- Your mobile phone is also a bank. It can be used for purchasing things, making payments
- Punjab is fortunate to have the leadership of Parkash Singh Badal