Bengaluru: The state sustained a loss of Rs 17,193 crore, and nearly 35 lakh farmers had been left disaffected as a result of drought in 2016, chief minister Siddaramaiah informed Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi on Friday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has assured a decision on release of Rs. 4,702 crore drought relief to Karnataka for kharif crop loss in 2016 will be taken on January 4, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah today said.
He also asked the Centre to release second installment of Rs. 2,856 crore under MNREGA at the earliest and also discussed Mahadayi inter-state water dispute issue with Mr Modi.
The delegation included senior state BJP leaders Jagdish Shettar and K S Eshwarappa, JD (S) leaders H D Revanna and Appaji Gowda as well as state government representative in Delhi Appaji Nadagowda.
Leader of Congress in Lok Sabha Mallikarjuna Kharge as well as four Union ministers including Ananth Kumar, Sadananda Gowda and Nirmala Sitharaman were present in the meeting.
The Chief Minister said the state has also sought additional Rs. 386 crore relief for kharif crop lost due to floods in five districts.
“The state has already spent Rs. 400 crore in drought-hit areas. If the Centre does not give the entire relief amount, it will be a burden on exchequer. We have asked them to release the funds soon,” he said.
In the meeting that lasted for 30 minutes, Mr Siddaramaiah also discussed the employment guarantee scheme MNREGA and sought the centre increase the number of man-days to 200 considering severe drought situation in the state.