A fire broke out in a two-storeyed building inside Biocon Park off Jigani Link Road on Monday evening. The reason for Biocon fire is possibly due to a chemical leak. There were no casualties reported but the fire, which started around 7.45 p.m., took nearly three hours to be put out.
The building where the fire broke out belongs to Sygene, a subsidiary of Biocon, and housed multiple labs, sources said. “The fire broke out in what appears to be a storeroom behind the lab on the second floor. The fire soon spread to all of the first and second floors, gutting two labs in the process,” said H.S. Revanna, Deputy Inspector General of Police, Fire and Emergency Services, who led the operation to put out the fire. He said the presence of large quantities of inflammable solvents, plastic and fibre-like mats caused the fire to spread faster, making it more difficult to put it out.
Eight fire tenders were deployed and nearly 100 fire rescuers pressed into action for nearly three hours.