Sridevi passed away late Saturday night at a hotel room in Dubai where she, along with the entire Kapoor clan and a host of Bollywood celebrities, had gone for the wedding of her nephew Mohit Marwah.
Even though the official time given by the Kapoor family for friends and fans of Sridevi to pay their last respects to the late actor is from 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM today, ever since the news of her death on Saturday, a continuous stream of people have been gathering outside her home as well as that of Anil Kapoor, testament to the love and regard that people had for India’s first female superstar.
Updates on Sridevi Funeral
- Since early morning today, Anil Kapoor, Arjun Kapoor, Karan Johar and Mohit Marwah have already reached Boney Kapoor’s Residence.
- The cremation is scheduled today at around 3.30 p.m.
- Sridevi, known as Indian cinema’s first woman superstar, is survived by her husband Boney Kapoor and their two daughters Jahnvi and Khushi.
- In its statement, the family said Sridevi’s body will be kept at Celebration Sports Club in Lokhandwala near her home for people to pay their last respects from 9:30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. before it is taken for cremation.
- The family said media can also pay their respects “provided camera, recording devices, etc are left outside the venue”.
- After visiting the grieving Kapoor family, Bappi Lahiri said he worked in 11 Silver Jubilee films with the deceased actor, who was “the one and only lady superstar”. “I still can’t believe she is no more with us, my heart sinks thinking about it.” He told IANS that he would like to dedicate the song “Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna” to her memory.
- We have provided additional security at the residence in order to avoid law and order situation,” Mumbai police spokesperson, Deepak Devraj told PTI. Around 100 policemen were deployed near Sridevi’s Lokhandwala building on Tuesday night and around 250 cops will be deployed today at the house where her body will be kept for paying final tribute to the departed soul, said a police official.
- Salman Khan dropped in at the Kapoor residence Green Acres around midnight to pay his last respects to Sridevi.